Wednesday 2 October 2013

I done it 'cos I love it'

The original copy of it was released in 1987 by Peter Fischli & David Weiss, they were among the most renowned contemporary artists of Switzerland. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTobV-Gnv-8.

The first copy was released by Honda on the 6th April 2003 called The Cog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ve4M4UsJQo.

The final copy was made into a music video of Ok Go - This Shall Pass was released on 2nd March 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w.

The one I like the best is Honda - The Cog. I think that this one is the best because it uses the most technology. I also like it because in the latest one it shows all the wires and doesn't look as modern or sophisticated. I think that the Rude Goldberg machine fits well with the company Honda because they are a company about cars which involves putting pieces together to make the final design. I think that this is what the idea behind the advert was that by one thing knocking into another it will create an effect with each of the parts fitting together. Due to the amount of money that Honda has it means that they can finish their advert of to a high quality so that it looks professional. I also think that because it isn't very long it's effective because the advert is able to keep focus for the two minutes, compared to the original which is 10 minutes and gets boring.

My favourite part of the original is at 9.00 minutes where the wire is on fire and it catches the bucket on fire which then leads to an explosion. I like this part because it's the most exciting part of the video. I think that because it leads up to the big ending. The least favourite part of the video is the beginning, I personally don't like it because it is really slow and it's not building up to nothing.

My favourite part; the explosion. 

My favourite part of the Honda advert is where the tires are uphill and getting hit because in real time this wouldn't be able to happen because the tires would just fall back down again. My least favourite part of the advert is when the oil drips down, I think that this is because it is really slow compared to the rest of the advert. If this part was sped up then there wouldn't be any think I disliked about the advert.

Wheels going uphill is very unrealistic because it's impossible. 

On the latest video Ok Go my favourite part is at the start when the car is pushed into the dominoes to create a falling domino effect. I really like this because it looks good. I don't think I have a least favourite part of this video because I think that all of it is really good and each part is different therefore it's not the same that is happening throughout.

In this I think that Honda and Ok Go copied Peter Fischli & David Weiss, although I feel that they didn't completely copy. I think it feels as though they Ok Go are copying Honda more than Fischli & Weiss, this is because the technology is more up to date because it's in recent years. I however don't think that copying is a bad thing, I think that this is because they are adapting the ideas and adding more to it. I don't think that it makes it any less important just because they are adapting ideas from the past. It's still important because it is all of their own work, even though the ideas aren't. I don't think that Honda and Ok Go videos would exist without Peter Fischli & David Weiss because that is where their original idea came from even though it's been adapted.



No comments:

Post a Comment