Wednesday 5 March 2014

'Real or not so Real'

In this production we had to create a story based on the picture. I based my idea on the fact that the girl looked rough and that she had a tough upbringing. I thought it was really fun creating the background for this character because all we have is a picture yet we are placing judgment and telling our own story to suit that persons looks. I think it is important to be able to make up your own story based on an imagine.

This idea came about learning about the difference between Mockumentaries and Docu-Drama's.

A Mockumentary is a made up story but the director still uses documentary techniques in order to make it look real. A Mockumentary will usually contain a description of the events, what happens; who was there, what was said, these are usually taken from their accounts or interviews. These interview happen at the time or months after the event. Along with this another thing that is included is techniques such as 'real life footage' this so conventionally catches the action. Two very well known Mocumentaries are 'The Office' and 'Parks and Recreation.'

While on the over hand a Docu-Drama takes a real life event and produces a fictional drama of the events. This is done by a re-enactment of what is happening using drama techniques. Sometimes these re-enactments can be slightly over-exaggerated in order for the audience to capture the concept. An example of where this happens the most is on 'Crimewatch' and on the Pride of Britain awards.

This production was called 'Real or not so Real.' There are so many reasons as to why this documentary is real but also not so real. This is because this documentary is about describing a person in a video diary, this way of doing it through a documentary is real. This could be real though because somebody out there, this is probably there life that I am describing yet I have no idea because what I believe that it is all what I have made up.
'My name is Diana Rose Green, I have been homeless for the past 9 years. This all started when I got kicked out of my home after overdosing on sleeping pills at a party. I left my home in London and moved across the ocean to San Francisco. For the past 5 years I have been the top drug dealer in Old San Fran. Every few weeks I have to move to a different part of San Francisco to make sure I don't get caught by the police. Recently along with being the top drug dealer I have also started become a prostitute, it's different from being a drug dealer but I still get the same thrill. Life isn't all that bad on the streets, people make it out to be worse than it actually is, I enjoy it.'


There are so many reasons as to why this documentary is real but also not so real. This documentary is real because it is about describing a person in a video diary, this way of doing it through a documentary is real. This could be real though because somebody out there, this is probably there life that I am describing yet I have no idea because what I believe that it is all what I have made up.

However on the other side this documentary it really isn't real. I don't know this women, I have absolutely no clue who she is. For all I know this women could be rich and famous, yet I am making a judgment about her. However I think this production is necessary, is it important that they are real or not? I think it's more important to get the idea behind learning about Mockumentaries and Docu-Drama's. I personally think that it isn't real, however I think that there are elements that are real, the description of her isn't accurate yet the concept behind it is and this is where the problem lies of it being 'Real or not so Real.'

Although this production was very simple and easy to make I enjoyed it a lot, I think that if I were to do it again I wouldn't pick the same women, I would want to do something a bit different and maybe base it on someone who is completely different to this 'Diana Rose Green' that I made up.

Here is my version of the production

No comments:

Post a Comment